AISD is seeking assistant principals that will help us reinvent the urban school experience. To support this effort, AISD requires qualified 2019-2020 assistant principal applicants to participate in an
Assistant Principal Assessment Center.
The purpose of the Assistant Principal Assessment Center is to:
* Create a research-based, equitable, data informed assistant principal selection process that aligns to AISD priorities and the Leadership Framework.
* Introduce performance measures that go beyond traditional interviews and provide a more well-rounded view of each candidate's strengths and readiness to serve as an AISD assistant principal.
Applicants that are not already AISD assistant principals must:
* Apply for the 2019-2020 assistant principal positions. Applicants will be screened for eligibility.
* Eligible applicants will be invited and must complete a HireVue interview. HireVues will be screened for the eligibility to advance to Step 3.
* Eligible applicants will be invited and must complete an assistant principal assessment center. Assessment center participants will be screened to determine eligibility as a qualified 2019-2020 assistant principal candidate.
In order to be considered for the March 30, 2019 assessment center, applications must be received by February 22, 2019. Applications received after February 22, 2019 will be considered for a future assessment center.
Position requires a Master's degree in education, a valid Texas administrative certificate, and three (3) years of successful teaching experience.
This position requires knowledge and skill in the use of personal computers (word, excel, etc.). Incumbent must have the ability to interact professionally with all types of individuals. Incumbent must be familiar with TEKS and Professional Pathways for Teachers (PPfT)/T-TESS or other state observation system). Incumbent must possess and demonstrate leadership skills, organizational skills, verbal/written skills, communication skills, and flexible/interpersonal dynamics. Incumbent must be able to analyze test data, conduct needs assessments, and support effective implementation and monitoring of strategies. Incumbent must effectively demonstrate collaboration, communication, connection, cultural proficiency, creativity, and critical thinking. Incumbent must be able to plan and manage multiple projects, present and maintain accurate records, and administer personnel policies. Employees in this position must be able to read, write, and speak/communicate in English in order to receive and to provide work-related information in a timely manner to other employees, supervisors, principals, school personnel, volunteers and where appropriate, visitors and students.
JOB PURPOSE AND RESPONSIBILITY
This position assists the principal of an individual middle school in organizing and fostering a positive, safe environment that is conducive to meeting the needs of all students, staff, and families. Incumbent will also assist the principal in supervising the overall educational and support activities and staff of the school to promote each students' academic success and well-being. Incumbent supervises a variety of school functions, such as support services, special activities and programs, student discipline, and curricula development. Incumbent also holds responsibilities for evaluation and supervision of teaching and other school staff. Incumbent may be involved in supervision of multiple areas of instructional support, or special programs and activities depending upon assignment from the principal. The primary responsibility of this position is the evaluation of teachers and support staff at the school level.
* Assists the principal in establishing/maintaining a shared vision, focus, and culture of high expectations for all staff and students.
* Cultivates an inclusive, caring, nurturing, and supportive school community.
* Assists staff in interviewing and selecting personnel (professional and classified) for employment opportunities at their campus.
* Assists in the orientation of new staff members to the teaching environment, especially as it relates to the area of students, personnel policies and procedures, and general building practices; mentors new staff members.
* Assists in the role of instructional leader to develop and implement a rigorous and coherent system of curriculum, instructional programs, and assessment to promote each students' academic success and well-being in consultation with the principal, teachers, and education program coordinators.
* Facilitates the development, communication, implementation, and evaluation of quality learning to enhance excellence and equity for all staff and students.
* Plans daily, weekly, monthly, and annual work schedules for teachers and administrative support staff. Participates with teachers, principal, and education program coordinators in curricula planning on annual and semester basis. Establishes orderly workflows in a variety of school functions, including maintenance schedules, class scheduling, special activities (e.g., athletic events, school trips), and teacher and staff evaluations. Convenes work groups for curricula development and special projects as needed.
* Coaches and develops teachers by performing formal annual evaluations of teacher/classroom performance through formal observations, unscheduled class observations, student progress/achievement, and parent/student comment to ensure standards are achieved and performance continuously improves. Provides pre and post observation coaching sessions to support effective implementation of strategies and to increase learning for all students.
* Arranges for and assists in conducting formal workshops for teachers in teaching methods, TEKS, and Institute for Learning.
* Counsels teachers on professional learning, classroom performance, and other topics as needed. Counsels students and parents on student performance and behavior. Hears complaints from teachers, parents, and students.
* Seeks and participates in professional learning opportunities to increase professional knowledge and skills.
* Provides supervision to students before and during school, and after school at extracurricular events; meets with students to address discipline, attendance, health, and other personal issues.
* Supervises other staff such as custodians, school nurses, secretaries, etc.
* Conducts performance reviews of support staff as assigned. Reviews practices and subject matter covered to ensure compliance with guidelines and policies.
* Promotes family community engagement by building relationships with families and local organizations/businesses by being responsive, visible, and accessible. Provides various opportunities for input. Communicates effectively through various means.
* Serves as a representative for the school within community forums to maintain ongoing community engagement, reach educational goals, and remedy issues related to school environment.
* Facilitates communication between personnel, students, and families for the purpose of evaluating situations and resolving problems/conflicts.
* Participates in formal (e.g. 504 and LPAC) and informal meetings and conferences with principal, families, students, and members of the community.
* Assists principal in monitoring compliance with federal, state, and local mandates, and guidelines.
* Assists principal in establishing, revising, and approving basic professional standards of conduct not addressed by District, State, and Federal guidelines.
* Explains school programs, policies, procedures and objectives to teachers and support staff in regular meetings, individual conferences, and written directives.
* Requisition supplies, textbooks, and equipment; conduct inventories, maintain records, and review receipts for such materials.
* Coordinates and oversees campus security, maintenance, and transportation.
* Coordinates and oversees related school activities such as student counseling, transportation, purchase of necessary course materials and supplies, etc.
* Conducts a variety of administrative reporting and external accountability functions for the principal (e.g., Child Study Team, Textbooks, Gifted and Talented Program, and Multi-lingual Program).
* Assists the principal in annual budget planning, preparation, and justification to the superintendent. Assistant Principals actively participate in school finance activities.
* Assistant Principal is included on all committees formed to interview and select personnel (professional or classified) for employment at their assigned school.
* Maintains and models high standards of professionalism including appropriate moral and ethical behavior and appropriate personal and professional use of social media.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED
Perform other related duties as assigned; however, all employees are expected to comply with
lawful directives in rare situations driven by need where a team effort is required.
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Services are generally provided in an office or school setting. Some travel is required. In order to maintain high visibility this position requires extensive walking. This position may involve possible exposure to blood or body fluids. Regular attendance is required for this position.
PERSONAL WORK RELATIONSHIP
This position works under the general supervision of the Principal, with considerable latitude for independent decision-making in assigned areas of faculty evaluation, support services management, and special activities management. Incumbent receives annual evaluations of performance, based upon documented results and success of assigned activities, parent and teacher feedbacks, and observation of the principal. The assistant principal is expected to promote and encourage the District Goals and Initiatives.
Duty Days: 215
Pay Grade: A02
Salary Range: $63,898-$71,002
Comprehensive Benefits Package
Employee Discount Program
Closing Date: Until Filled
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Associated topics: chief, chief academic officer, direct, director, elementary vice principal, executive management, head of school, high school superintendent, middle school principal, vice principal